Monday, September 24, 2007

Thanks, hand!

Have you ever thought about how much your hands have done for you? Or your feet? Or your stomach? Your legs? Your back, your shoulder, your thigh?

Maybe it doesn't seem very "spiritual" to think about your body. For many of us, taking our body into account is only about keeping our weight down or making sure we exercise, or not. Your body, however, is holy. Your body is part of your whole-ness, of the entirety of who you are in creation.

Since your body is holy, it's ok to talk to your body! Your body will listen. "Thanks, feet, for the many, many, many miles you have carried me. I know you're tired right now, and I am so grateful for all the wonderful places you have carried me. I'm grateful for the way you feel when we go into the ocean. Thanks!"

Or to your sore shoulder: "What are you trying to tell me, dear shoulder? I know you're sore, and I know you've been working hard. What are you saying?"

Where is your body troubled now? Talk to that part. Remember to thank your body, too. Ask it questions. Don't be afraid: this is another part of yourself, your whole self, after all.

Try it. You might like it - and you might even learn something!

Warmly,
meb

No comments: