Friday, September 21, 2007

A favorite place...

I hope you have a favorite place that is all your own. Your favorite place doesn't have to be big. It can be a chair or a cushion. It needs to be your favorite place, however.

One of my favorite places (I am privileged at this time in my life to have several!) is the chair across from the window in my living room. This is one of my favorite places to sit because I look out to the birch tree right outside the window, and across the street, rising up behind the houses, are three huge beautiful trees that sway in the wind almost all the time. I like to think the birch tree is as happy to see me as I am to see it. In fact, I'm sure it is!

Maybe as a mother with small children and a spouse, it seems as if no place in the house is really yours. If that is true for you, you will have to be creative when you choose your favorite place. There might not be a place that is yours only. Even my chair is that way; sometimes someone else sits in my chair. But that place to sit is still one of my favorite places.

I read about a woman who made a closet into her office. Since her office has no windows, she has put a poster on one wall that is a picture of a beautiful outside scene. Her office, 7x7 feet, has now become the place to which she retreats when she simply needs to be alone for awhile. It's her favorite place.

Look around today. Maybe you're lucky and you already know your favorite place. If you do, think about your favorite place right now. When you're not happy, or when you're stressed, bring to mind your favorite place.

Look around. If you don't think you have a favorite place, you may discover that you do. There is someplace that holds special security and beauty for you.

Here's to your favorite place!
Warmly,
meb

No comments: