Friday, September 7, 2007

"Slow down, you movin' too fast, you gotta make the moment last..." - Paul Simon

"Slow down!"

I've changed that life-long refrain to "...slow down..." for myself over the past couple of years. In this fast-paced time and in our fast-paced culture, we don't hear the message: "...slow down..." except when someone is yelling to us in traffic: "Slow down!" (usually accompanied by some movement of the hands, and fingers!)

"...Slow down..." has become a mantra for me over the past several years. When I slow my pace, whether it's the pace of folding laundry or answering phone calls or taking a walk or going through my in-box, I notice things more. What a joy, and what a learning experience this is!

When I "...slow down..." I actually notice the day. I notice cloud formations, or I notice the hummingbirds who swoop down to check me out when I leave my house to go to my car in the morning. I notice one new rose bloom on the rose bush by my steps. I notice the fading light at twilight, and I enjoy it for a few moments. I notice that in between the noises of the city, who I am is really silent.

When I "...slow down..." I learn other things, as well. I learn that I often have a lot of inner turmoil, hidden beneath my usually frantic pace. I learn that my fast pace is motivated most often by my own sense of urgency, instead of others' demands. I learn that there is time to look a friend in the eye and to say, "I love you," more often.

All of these things are not the way I'm "supposed" to live. I'm supposed to be productive, I'm supposed to react to every demand placed upon me, I'm supposed to get more done than anyone and I'm supposed to look busy, no matter what. "...slow down..." is actually counter-cultural.

Make this your mantra, for today: "...slow down..."

Warmly,
meb

No comments: