Monday, October 26, 2009

Moments

Dear Friends,

Today is a day of moments. Perhaps today will hold one of the moments of your life, one of the moments that you will never forget.

We tell our moments to each other often. And the moments we tell are not the moments of high success, of momentous honor. Mostly, these moments are the quietest, simplest moments.

One of the moments of my mother’s life, which she never forgot, and which she relayed to my sister and to me many times, was the moment she met my father’s mother, Martha, for the first time. My father had gone off to Milwaukee to find work, and he drove home every weekend to stay with his parents. He was in his late 30’s! And I suppose when he told his family he was going to marry this Mary Markowski, a divorced woman with a child, this was probably not the woman my grandmother would have chosen for Frankie. But when my mother stepped out of the car to meet Frank’s family, Martha, my grandmother, stepped forward and hugged my mother. That hug was the moment my mother felt accepted into the Bahlert family, not simply as a daughter-in-law, but as a daughter.

Today, remember the moments of your life as you go through your day. Enrich your life!

Warmly,
meb

No comments: