Saturday, December 20, 2008

During the shortest days -

Dear Friends,

I do love the holiday season, with the lights and the music that only comes around for a few weeks every year. I really do.

At the same time, I know that for me, the holiday season is also the most melancholy time of the year. Every year I think about the ones who are no longer here. Will I ever see them again? What is this longing like for them? How long can grief go on?
I tell others stories about the ones who are gone, as if to bring them back into my life just for a few moments. And I am so grateful to the ones who will listen.

And that's the gift to me this season. Even during the darkest times, I am learning to be grateful. If you are having a dark, dark season - and for many, this is the darkest season of all - begin to give thanks to God, to the Universe, to All That Is - for whatever you can. Start with the smallest things. Are you grateful for a warm cup of tea on a cold morning? Are you grateful for a warm house?

Gratitude is not about comparing. Don't compare yourself to others. For example: "I am grateful for this because others have so little." No - simply be grateful. Just be grateful.

Warmly,
meb

No comments: