Thursday, January 31, 2008

We are all one...

When we think of ourselves as separate from others, it is easy to make others into the "enemy." When we think of ourselves as One, from one source, of one being, of one substance, as part of the whole of the Universe, then everyone is a reflection of ourselves. We can learn from everyone, from each situation, without regarding something as "bad," or "evil," or "awful." Every situation is only another opportunity to learn.

For example, someone who is present in my life almost every single day is someone who I would not choose to have present in my life almost every single day! For months, I used precious time and energy trying to change this person... although most of us do it all the time, I'm sure we all know it is impossible to change someone else! But that's what I did. I thought about him, about how I would respond to him, about what I would say, about how I could make him think differently.

Then, I put a note on my desk: "What does he do that is hidden in my shadow?" In that moment, I was empowered, empowered to look at myself, who is someone I might be able to change, just a little! I changed the energy of my relationship to the one who had dominated my thoughts and actions. I changed the way I looked at the other person. I changed myself!

Warmly,
meb

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you write a lot! you say some great things in here!