Saturday, January 26, 2008

Listening to your body -

When I am stressed, or moving too fast, I don't breathe. I don't know if that's true for you, but it is true for me. I know, I know - if you aren't breathing, you aren't alive! But when we hold our body tightly wound by staying in a place of stress in our lives, our breath is contracted, barely there at all.

Think about your breath for a moment... there, feel your breath rise in your chest, as if in answer to being noticed. Think of it as your breath saying, "hello, I'm here..." In both ancient Greek and ancient Hebrew, the word for "breath" and the word for "Spirit" are the same word. Your Source, your heart, your soul, your True Self is intimately connected to your breath.

When I've been sitting still too long and I get up to take a walk, I can feel the shift in my body as the movement allows me to breathe more fully. If you've ever had a deep massage, you know the effect, too.

Give yourself the gift of your breath. Think about your breath - breathe! - as you go through your day. If you have a difficult task to accomplish, don't begin before you take a breath - take that moment to breathe - and then, do what you were going to do or say what you were going to say.

Or place your hand over your heart and breath. Give yourself the gift of breath. It costs nothing - and it means everything!

Warmly,
meb

No comments: