Wednesday, January 16, 2008

How to pray when you can't pray.

Sometimes we seem to know all sorts of things we want to pray for and about. We may be accustomed to praying for others: we pray for the well-being, for the healing of our friends and loved ones, we pray for peace in the whole world. And don't forget to pray for yourself! There is nothing as powerful or as moving as prayer to change us - the only person we can change!

Sometimes we simply do not know what is troubling us, or we don't have any idea how to pray or what to pray about or for. Then, ask God to let you know what you are praying. Ask your Higher Power to make your prayer clear to you.

Through the years, as I have practiced the spiritual discipline of prayer, I have come to understand and to know that there is nothing more powerful than the acceptance that comes through prayer. There is nothing more powerful on earth than this acceptance. And I have also come to know that sometimes I have to pay attention to what my deepest intention is, to learn what it is I am truly praying for.

Prayer itself is a great teacher. I think that if everyone on earth knew what prayer really is, no one would consider going through their lives without prayer.

Even when you can't pray, you can pray.
Warmly,
meb

No comments: