Monday, October 15, 2007

The Fourfold Way: Show Up

For the next couple of days, I will write about the Fourfold Way in the Native American tradition. Of course, this is through the lens of my interpretation and understanding. Bear with me.

We all need a "compass," a way which shows us direction in how to live. That's what the spiritual life is about: the spiritual life provides a "compass," a path to move in matters of the world. The "compass" of the spiritual life, whatever tradition you embrace, offers very practical guidance to help you to be the human being you are meant to be.

The Fourfold Way is a "compass." It's a simple way to guage how to proceed in every day, in every activity, in every relationship.

1. Show Up.
I don't know about you, but sometimes I only pretend to show up. At those times, I'm focused on what I have to do after I leave this place, or I'm worrying about a conversation I had earlier. Sometimes I don't even show up at all. You might have been expecting me, but I"m not there.
As I grow older, I learn about how important it is to show up. It's important for me to show up for a friend's party, for example, or to show up when a friend loses their partner or their parent. It's important to show up - and even to offer assistance - when someone in my circle of relationships is having a hard time. When I show up, I can decide how I want to help, or I can take a look to see what help is needed.
But I can't do any of those things unless I show up.
I want to be able to "show up" more often in my life as I get older. That means that when I arrive at your door, I want to be able to look you in the eye and be present - without baggage or agenda.
This is a simple thing, isn't it?

Show Up.

Warmly,
meb

No comments: