Saturday, January 3, 2009

At the holidays' end...

Dear Friends,

Every year, I hate to take down the Christmas tree. I did the job today. The way I do it is to remember that in less than 12 months, I'll have a nice green tree with pretty colored bulbs in my living room again.

When I sit by the tree, I seem to make a space inside of myself and out for the winter. I like to watch the tree best on foggy mornings. This year I've been honored to even see some frost out on the lawn - unusual for these parts of the world.

Getting ready for Christmas is sad, a time of memories, of remembering those who are no longer here. And dismantling the Christmas tree is the same. Maybe in a way this small ritual is a way of honoring those I've loved, who are gone. I think of their faces, of their voices, of the small actions that touched me in their lives. Those are the things we can each be best remembered for, I think.

I've come to understand that for me, the holidays are a time of sadness as much as a time for celebrating. And in their own way, a time of honoring those I love.

Warmly,
meb

No comments: