Tuesday, November 17, 2009

What Do We Need?

Dear Friends,

Everything seems to be falling apart. The people, the institutions, the systems that served us don't seem to be working very well anymore. For example - is politics important, or is the welfare of people important? We seem to be looking frantically for states-people, people who have a will for the people and who can rise above partisan bickering to see what is needed.
I am disheartened when I think about the public schools. I am disheartened when I think about the media and the hype we receive rather than news. I am disheartened when I think about young people who live their lives knowing they won't live past 20 years old. I am disheartened when I think about people - all over the world, and whose lives are our lives - who do not have food, who do not have shelter.

Everything seems to be falling apart. And another voice inside me says: "It's all good." How do I put these two apparently different voices together? Are they related? Is one voice crazy, the other sane? How do I make sense of this?

I may be naive, but I continue to think there is a way to live our lives that makes a difference. I continue to think that it is up to us to be the good the world needs.

And that takes work. We don't want to do the work. We want to put our little "fixes" together. How do we help the world? When we look at all of what needs to be "fixed," how do we really become part of what is good?

Today, I am filled with questions.
meb

No comments: