Monday, December 3, 2007

When the birds come...

In late November and early December the little birds - finches and sparrows - come to feast from the tree outside my living room window. During the rest of the year I think of them often, and I look forward to their return. This year I had some worries, because several of the neighborhood's cats have taken to sitting on the stoop on my front porch. But the little birds have returned to their feast!

I love the little birds. Sometimes I watch them and I think about how completely themselves they are! They flit around the branches, looking for food. They fall upside down sometimes in their earnest pecking at the branches! How much do they weigh, I wonder? Do they know they bring me such pleasure, just by being themselves? Would they be frightened, if they looked to see that I was here?

Every moment in the day is an opportunity to be present and to reflect. Look for the simple pleasures in your day, in the middle of this busy, busy season. Your life will be complete, as it is, then.
Warmly,
meb

No comments: